2005/05/23

Say it with me; It's just a movie

I think that there are too many people who have too much time on their hands. These same people also take life much too seriously. You want examples? Moveon.org plans a series of ads comparing Frist to Chancellor Palpatine. Conservative blogs begin comparing Vader's "If you're not with me, you're my enemy," to Bush's "Either you're with us, or you are with the terrorists." George Lucas is added to Patriotic Americans Boycotting Anti-American Hollywood boycott list. The Drudge Report compares the WH press corps to the Sith.

And then, there's the latest MSNBC Question of the Day: Star Wars III: Do you think it has a political agenda?

Some background:

“If you’re not with me, then you’re my enemy.”
“I am the Senate.”
“He has control of the Senate and the courts; he’s too dangerous.”

Those quotes may sound remarkably similar to recent utterances by President Bush, Tom (“I am the government”) DeLay and nervous Democrats, but they pop directly out of the mouths of central characters in the final installment of George Lucas’ 28-year-old “Star Wars” series.

Is Lucas having a bit of fun with contemporary politics here? With its many references to arrogance and lust for power leading to the dark side, is “Revenge of the Sith” intended as an allegory for our times? “Only a Sith deals in absolutes,” says one of the wiser characters, who is clearly not in favor of endorsing a good-vs.-evil agenda.

George Lucas in an interview says he was less inspired by the current war time climate than by the Nixon Vietnam era. “When I wrote it, Iraq didn’t exist” Lucas said. Click here to read more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home