2005/06/13

Okay, I am back, though not for long. (More later about that later.) And just what was this important bidness I had to deal with? It was my birthday. That’s right, June 12 was yours truly’s @%^&*%#@$^** birthday. What’s that? You didn’t get which birthday it was? It was my @#$%&*(*^*)** birthday. I was gone because I was busy doing birthday stuff.

Today I received a happy birthday email from an old friend. She's really not old, I’ve just known her for a long time. She’s someone I worked with years ago. Funny, she thought I was older than I am.

Back when I was 25, I thought you were much older. I thought you were generations older than me. Now I realize that you're only 13 years older! That's not so much anymore. Ain't life funny! You're even younger than you used to be!


That’s a compliment? I think it’s a compliment. At least it’s funny. Isn’t it funny? She thinks it’s funny.

All right, I’ll come clean about the age. I turned fifty-six on Sunday. Fifty-six. That’s not old. That’s not even middle aged. Not yet. The way I feel about it, I’ll be middle aged when I’m seventy. Or, maybe eighty. Besides, it’s not the number of birthdays. According to Garfield “it’s the aging thing.” For once, the cat is right.

The Son called to wish me a happy birthday yesterday. Right now he and the new wife are living in Biloxi. Because they couldn’t come up to see us he invited The Wife and me to come on down for a visit. Weather permitting, said visit will include deep-sea fishing. The Son has a bud with a boat. A big boat.

That’s what I meant about being back but only for awhile. Early Wednesday, The Wife and I will be heading for what Jimmy Buffett calls “the northern edge of the Caribbean”.

2 Comments:

Blogger poopie said...

Happy Birthday! Lucky you...headed for the sand and surf. Wish I was doing the same ;)

Tue Jun 14, 09:05:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Len said...

A belated happy birthday! Hope it was a great one.

Tue Jun 14, 11:45:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home